Current:Home > MarketsPerson accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge -AssetLink
Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 02:13:11
WASHINGTON (AP) — A person accused of accosting U.S. Rep. Nancy Mace in a Capitol Office building pleaded not guilty on Wednesday to a misdemeanor assault charge.
Witnesses told police that James McIntyre, 33, of Chicago, shook Mace’s hand in an “exaggerated, aggressive” manner after approaching the South Carolina Republican in the Rayburn House Office Building on Tuesday evening, according to a police affidavit.
Mace, who is identified only by her initials in a court filing, posted a string of social media messages about the incident. She said she was “physically accosted” at the Capitol, and she thanked President-elect Donald Trump for calling her Wednesday morning to check on her condition.
“I’m going to be fine just as soon as the pain and soreness subside,” Mace wrote.
Mace declined to be treated by a paramedic after her encounter with McIntyre, who was arrested Tuesday by the Capitol Police, the affidavit says.
Mace told police that McIntyre said, “Trans youth serve advocacy,” while shaking her hand. Last month, Mace proposed a resolutionthat would prohibit any lawmakers and House employees from “using single-sex facilities other than those corresponding to their biological sex.” Mace said the bill is aimed specifically at Delaware Democrat Sarah McBride — the first transgender personto be elected to Congress.
A magistrate judge ordered McIntyre’s release after an arraignment in Superior Court of the District of Columbia.
Efforts to reach an attorney for McIntyre weren’t immediately successful.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (2)
Related
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Barbra Streisand on her long-awaited memoir
- The 2024 Grammy Nominations Are Finally Here
- Trump suggests he or another Republican president could use Justice Department to indict opponents
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Mexico City prosecutors accused of asking for phone records of prominent politicians
- Sen. Joe Manchin says he won't run for reelection to Senate in 2024
- Las Vegas Sphere reveals nearly $100 million loss in latest quarter soon after CFO resigns
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Philip Pullman is honored in Oxford, and tells fans when to expect his long-awaited next book
Ranking
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Trump suggests he or another Republican president could use Justice Department to indict opponents
- Sasha Skochilenko, Russian artist who protested war in Ukraine, faces possible 8-year prison sentence
- Taylor Swift's full Eras Tour setlist in South America: All 45 songs
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- The 2024 Grammy Award nominations are about to arrive. Here’s what to know
- Jerome Powell's fed speech today brought interest rate commentary and a hot mic moment
- The Air Force’s new nuclear stealth bomber, the B-21 Raider, has taken its first test flight
Recommendation
See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
Oil companies attending climate talks have minimal green energy transition plans, AP analysis finds
Election workers report receiving suspicious packages, some containing fentanyl, while processing ballots
Former New Mexico State basketball players charged with sexual assault
Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
Ransomware attack on China’s biggest bank disrupts Treasury market trades, reports say
U.S. MQ-9 Drone shot down off the coast of Yemen
Disputes over safety, cost swirl a year after California OK’d plan to keep last nuke plant running